Monday, November 23, 2009

Day One

Michelle's Uncle gave us what was believed to be a 1959 Skagit 20 Express. We later found out that the title was mixed up with another Skagit. This was a '56. In 1956, Skagit Plastics' second year of production, about 30 boats (by the best information I can find) were produced. The majority of those being this 20' model. Some research in to the history of these boats made the idea of owning one very appealing. I still wasn't real sure what I was about to get into.

Michelle and I picked up the boat on Friday afternoon, November 13. An hour or so of wiring under the trailer and we were all set. One thing I had noticed the first time I looked at the boat, was the trailer had two broken rollers, and the hull was resting on the broken tubing. I would find out why this matters later.

By the time we left it was well after dark, and we had our first snowfall at home. The Lang boys can't shop for anything unless it's dark, and preferably raining. I don't have any pictures showing the whole boat. It was cold and dark, and we didn't bring a camera because I didn't think this would turn into the large project that it's become.

It took some finesse to get the trailer in the small garage door. The door is exactly 3/4" wider than the tires on the trailer. Close fit. I had fully expected, and counted on, backing in the big door at an angle, and push the trailer over to the small bay. There was plenty of room for this maneuver, because I had spent the last week moving my clutter around to make room for the new arrival.

As you can see, the transom is not there. The plywood was rotten and had been previously removed. The motor well had also been cut out, and the sole (deck) removed. This was no surprise to me, I knew it would need this work done. I also need to repair, fabricate, or replace the windshield. The boat has been outside for some time, and was under a tarp covered in snow last year (remember the two feet we had in Redmond) and the weight of the snow crushed the windshield frame. I was told the windshield is from a '55 Ford Sedan, but that kind of detail will have to wait until I find out what to do with the frame. I believe I can put the broken one back together. Time will tell.

I am a little surprised, due to the outside storage and overall poor condition, that the emblems, trim, bumpers, even the cabin interior are in good condition. No transom, no problem. Broken emblem, forget it! Seriously, the transom is plywood and epoxy, nothing I haven't done. The trim, etc. are items that I may not have been able to duplicate.

The cabin bulkhead had been replaced with some composite material. It looked expensive, and definitely strong enough. I'm just not sure, looking at it, how the bulkhead door is supposed to go, much less how to frame it in.

Now, I know what you are thinking. The same thing Rylan said when he came out and looked. "This is it? This boat's horrible!"

Well, he's a clever kid, and he's right. It's a horrible boat. But I guess I can't help but see the beauty in something that's a classic, but just needs a little help to make it new again. I have fixed lots of cars, but this will be the first boat I've had to work on. As bad as the transom looks, it's nothing more than plywood, epoxy and cloth. The sole is a snap, and in the worst case, I'll have to cast and mold a new windshield frame. I don't think I'll have a problem putting this in the water next year. The one hangup may be finding an outboard in the 100-120hp range. I'd like to find something vintage, but I won't hold my breathe. Whatever I can find, It's OK if it doesn't run - I've got all winter to work on it.

So stop in once in a while, have a beer, and laugh at my lack of progress as I attempt to rebuild this sorry boat so it may one day be launched to join it's brothers and sisters. Or maybe it's next year's swimming pool. I better get started......

No comments:

Post a Comment